Wednesday, February 19, 2014

GARRET



click on pic for sharper image



 The above drawing is one I copied from Shorpy, a website of historical photographs. I was interested in this photo because the compositional tableau reminded me of a Joseph Leyendecker cover illustration, my favorite illustrator.
Then lo and behold I discovered it was used by Leyendecker as reference for a war bond poster or the photographer modeled the photograph after the poster…..


Weapons for Liberty, 1918

Cover illustration for The Saturday Evening Post, March 2, 1918 and poster illustration for the Boy Scouts of America Third Liberty Loan Campaign, 1918
Collection of the National Scouting Museum.


1 comment:

  1. Excellent! Leyendecker is also my favorite illustrator. You've inspired me to copy his work too. When you did your sketch, did you trace the figures or render freehand?

    ReplyDelete